Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tom's Chinese BBQ

Tom's Chinese BBQ
4414 University Ave.
San Diego, CA
(619)563-8225


I've been to Tom's (5 times I think). It's really hit or miss with this place. I've only gone there for their roast pork, bbq pork, and egg tarts. I actually like their bbq pork and it's been consistent. However their roast pork is sometimes really good then the rest of the time it's really bad (dry, hard skin, not flavorful). And I get their egg tarts because it reminds me of being in San Francisco when I eat one.

This was the first time I got their roast duck ($9.50 for half a duck). I didn't expect a crispy skin since it was going to be a bit of a drive before I would get home. The meat wasn't dry, but it lacked the roast duck flavor I'm used to. I can't help but compare everything I eat to the food back in IL. The roast duck and pork I would get back in Chicago was just so amazing and delicious. Back in IL, they would give you small containers of sauce/au jus with the duck. Tom's doesn't. We still enjoyed the duck. It was a nice treat. Before Tom's, I've only tried roast duck from Ranch 99 and Ly's Garden but it's been about about 2 years.