Monday, October 12, 2009

Hao Vi Chinese Restaurant


Hao Vi
4451 University Ave.
San Diego, CA
(619) 280-8688

I was craving shrimp fried rice and was too lazy to drive to National City for it. I love the fried rice at Golden Chopsticks. So I drove along University Ave. and saw this restaurant. I parked on the street and went in. It was a hole in the wall but the lady behind the counter and the server were so friendly so I grabbed a menu and looked it over quickly and placed my order.
I wanted shrimp fried rice and beef chow foon dry.

The portions were huge, but I don't think I liked the flavors of the food. The fried rice was lacking umm what's that called, the taste of being cooked in a wok.
And this is not what I ordered and on top of that it was not 'dry'. I don't like sauces or soupy food unless I'm eating a soup. This noodle dish tasted ok, but I was expected wider or larger rice noodles.

I thought that if I liked the food, I would return and dine in. While I was waiting for my order, I watched as the restaurant filled up. I noticed that upon seating the customers, the server would take over water, a plate of you char kway (Chinese fried bread stick), a small plate with bean sprouts and lime wedges, and hot tea. Later, the server would take over 'bone soup'. I wonder if this was all included in the meal. I watched the server do this with each table.

Maybe I will return and order something else. All the food I saw leaving the kitchen looked delicious.