Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ramona Oktoberfest 2009

City of Ramona Oktoberfest
October 16-18th
Ramona Outdoor Community Center
Last Sunday I had the chance to take a short roadtrip up to Ramona. I have to admit I have not done much exploring since moving to San Diego. I stay close to the area that I live and don't stray too far from it.

I decided last minute to check out the Oktoberfest. I wasn't sure what to expect and I really wasn't planning on eating anything there since I had just bought a bunch of 'snacks' at 99 Ranch (that'll be the next post).


It was a nice drive to Ramona. It was a MUCH better drive than the one to Julian. The festival was held at an outdoor community center, which looked like a place where you would hold a small county fair. I had arrived there just as the 'gates were opening' so there weren't many people there and the booths and tents were just setting up. There was a 'grand stand area' where there were live music peformances and maybe a 'beer garden' area. Past that were children's carnival rides.

Most of the booths consisted of vendors selling jewelry, art and crafts items, and food.


Of course there was kettle corn and shaved ice.

I thought about getting a funnel cake, since they remind me of going to the IL state fair with my parents as a child. What I should've gotten was the fry bread. They were serving something like a taco in fried bread. That would've been intersting.

This looked promising, but again I could not eat since I just ate a ton of food from 99 Ranch.
Okay, we got this carne asada taco. It was served with chopped onions, cilantro, and salsa. I think it lacked a lot of flavor. But I'm not a very good judge of Mexican food since I rarely eat it.
And what's an Oktoberfest without a bratwurst? I didn't eat it. I liked that they served it with grilled onions, peppers, sauerkraut and spicy mustard.

I'm sorry for no beer pictures! I don't drink. :(