Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sunday Lunch

Laap Moo
Chicken
Roasted Tomato-Chili Jeow
Thai Eggplant
Sticky Rice

Lately I've been calling my mom up often just to chit chat. I have been missing her very much lately, due to it being the holidays. We are both kind of in the same situation where we are geographically far away from the people we love. Every time I finish talking with my mom I am inspired to cook and eat Lao foods.
I made Laap Moo. I cooked the ground pork on the stove top and drained the fat. I prepared already cooked, shredded pork skin by soaking it in water with salt. For seasoning, I added toasted rice powder, grated galangal, ground dry chili peppers, fish sauce, and lime juice. And garnished it with sliced green onions, fresh chili peppers, cilantro, and mint. And I served it with Thai eggplants.

I also 'baked' chicken legs that have been marinated in ginger, lemon grass, sugar, and fish sauce. I am not allowed to grill where I live. We are only allowed to bbq in the park next to my house.


I also made a roasted chili pepper/tomato jeow. I roasted 2 tomatoes, shallots, and 4 chili peppers. After the tomatoes were cooked through, I let everything cool and added it to my mortar and pounded it. I added a pinch of salt and some fish sauce. Then I sliced green onions and cilantro for garnish. The jeow isn't spicy at all. There's a sweetness that comes from the roasted tomatoes. My jeow doesn't look like it's suppose to because I didn't have enough tomatoes.

I love meals like this. It's so simple but yet so filling. My only wish is that the rest of my family were here to enjoy this with me.