Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Meal

Simple Non-Traditional Christmas Dinner
Okay, it was simple for me to cook. I wanted Asian this year since we had a traditional Thanksgiving, which took hours to cook. I was somewhat inspired by watching 'A Christmas Story'. Little Ralphie's Christmas dinner was ruined by the dogs and they had to go to a Chinese restaurant for duck. Loved that!

Our Menu:
Egg rolls
Deep Fried Tilapia with ginger/garlic sauce
Pan Fried Prawns
Mussels in Black Bean Sauce
Stir Fried Chinese Broccoli
Steamed White Rice
and
Khao Sung Ga Ya
It was not a fancy meal but it was so tasty and filling. And plenty of food to go back for thirds and fourths. I think this will be the only time I cook with a whole fish. I will stick to fillets next time. I am not a fan of fish bones. My shrimp dish came out more spicy than I wanted due to using too many chili peppers, but I still enjoyed the dish. I loved the Chinese broccoli since it wasn't 'saucy'. I only seasoned it with garlic, salt and sugar since the other dishes were strong in flavors. I have a habit of eating mussels with a chili 'paste' from a jar instead of sriracha. My khao sung ga ya tasted great but it didn't seem quite the same since I didn't have the Jell-o brand custard mix. I can't find any in this area. It's all 'flan' mixes here.


After dinner it was movie time. Christmas dinner was great, only wished I lived closer to the rest of my family.