Friday, December 11, 2009

the Greek Corner


the Greek Corner Restaurant
5841 El Cajon Blvd.
San Diego, CA
I drive by this place a lot since I buy groceries often on El Cajon Blvd. Last Friday I decided to stop in and try it. I really should have read the yelp reviews first. I have a weakness for gyros and falafels.
The restaurant itself was dark and not lit very well. I could barely read the menu. I was ordering carry out. (And yes I even tipped. I'm so scared about not tipping. I might offend someone, they might spit in my food or I might get arrested.) I was too distracted by the lack of lighting that I didn't even look at the rest of the restaurant. I did notice there was an organ or piano tucked off into a hallway. There must be some big celebrations at night or weekends there.
We ordered fries, a falafel sandwich, and a combination plate. No pictures of the fries (which were the BEST thing we ate there). They were like McDonald's fries but heavily seasoned with pepper.
This is the falafel sandwich. I knew we were in trouble when I saw the cook/gal microwaving them!! Yes!! I almost wanted to cancel our order. I thought (since I've made them before) that falafels were deep fried. Look at the sandwich. Can you even tell what it is? I thought falafels were to keep their round shape even if it's in a sandwich. I even googled it to see what it should look like and this wasn't it. And the worst part, it had no flavor and the texture was all wrong. I thought about putting the sauce that came with the combination plate for more taste. But that sauce was runny and had no flavor either.


The combination plate came with pita slices, rice, a salad, gyro meat, and a beef skewer. The only thing that had flavor was the rice. And that tasted like it came from a box. Both the beef and gyro meat tasted like they weren't seasoned. How can Greek food be tasteless? And the food cost $22. I'm glad I tried it so I know to never go back.