Monday, February 18, 2008

Morning Cravings

Before going to bed last night I did some browsing on the interweb, searching for anything on vietnamese sandwiches to get inspiration and ideas for making my own banh mi. I LOVE LOVE them. I get teased a lot for it, but I think they are perfect sandwiches and one sandwich always fills me up. When I woke up this morning I had to start off my day with a banh mi. It's probably not normal to eat like this in the mornings, but I grew up eating noodle soups for breakfast or whatever was available. We didn't eat cereal and milk for breakfast in my house.

For my sandwich, I grabbed what I had on hand. I had sub rolls, gio lua, liver pate, pickled carrots, cilantro, cucumber, and jalapeno peppers. I toasted the bread in the oven for 5 minutes while I steamed the gio lua. Once the bread was ready, I split it open and added sliced gio lua, pate, the vegetables, and mayo.

My favorite banh mi is the dac beit, but at home I use whatever I have in the fridge. I'll make them with leftover grilled meat or if I have ground pork I will make a meatball type sandwich. For this sandwich the flavors were all there, but sometimes I feel like sandwiches taste better when someone else makes them. It can be made by my mom, friend, at a restaurant, a store and it will taste better than the one I make. I think I'm ready to start my day now.