Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Laap or Goy?

What's the difference between laap and goy? Forgive me if the spelling is incorrect. For some reason I always thought that laap was made with sliced meat and goy was made with ground/minced/chopped meat. I grew up eating a lot of it...with a lot of sticky rice. And it was so delicious, especially since it was made by my parents. There are so many variations and I don't know how to make any of them (but I try). I don't have the toasted rice powder or padek so I use a mix from an envelope.



Along with the the laap, my parents would sometimes serve pork rinds, sliced cucumber, eggplant, cabbage, lettuce, or sadao.



Here's a picture of frozen sadao. I tried looking it up on the internet and only found 'Neem flower'. It's hard to describe. My parents always purchased it frozen and would boil it and let it cool before serving it with laap. It has green stems, leaves, and flower bulbs. It tastes extremely bitter. But I think it goes well with the spiciness of laap.


I made pork goy. I cooked 1lb of ground pork. I followed the instructions on the back of the envelope mix. To that I added juice from 2 limes, shredded pork skin, 4 thinly sliced green onions, 1 diced shallot, 1 diced large jalapeno pepper, chopped cilantro and mint. And I served it with the sadao and steamed jasmine rice.