Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tet Festival at Balboa Park

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to attend the Vietnamese New Year celebration at Balboa Park. The festival was a mix of carnival rides, traditonal live entertainment, pageants, games, and ethnic food vendors. I had a fun time, but wish I had stayed all day. I wanted to catch the night time live entertainment and fireworks.


Since the next best thing to live entertainent is food, I got into line for some delicious Vietnamese food. I went to 4 different vendors total. The first one was selling coconut waffles and banh khot. I've never had banh khot before. After eating some, it reminded me of kanom krok and tastes like banh xeo.


Did I mention how long the lines were? The second line I got into was a bust. As I approached the front of the line, they vendor ran out of food! So it was on to the next line.


Here is how they make banh khot.


Here's a closer look at the banh khot.


I also got some eggrolls, meatball on a stick, grilled beef on skewers, and Laotian sausages. Some other things I tried and didn't take pictures of were banh chung, banh tet,steamed pork buns, and banh mi. I did a lot of eating. Overall, I had a great time and the weather was perfect. Chuc Mung Nam Moi!