Friday, January 15, 2010

Oxtail Stew

When I was a teenager, I remember my dad often cooking with oxtail. Back then they weren't considered a delicacy. They were very affordable. At least that's what I thought, until I went to purchase some in an attempt to make kare -kare. Back to my dad's oxtail dish, I remember him cooking it in a peanut sauce. It was a flavorful, thick sauce. I have been craving it for years. I wish I had asked my dad for the recipe. I never even knew what it was called. I was surprised to find that it is a Filipino dish. I love how my parents cooked a wide range of cuisines. And I had no idea, I thought everything they cooked was Lao food.

After researching it online, I found that it was kare-kare. I didn't try it immediately. It somewhat intimidated me and I was afraid that it was not going to be like my dad's oxtail stew. For my first attempt, I purchased a mix. I followed the cooking instructions on the envelope.


It was pretty easy to make. Next time I will opt for an actual recipe (maybe my own).

The finish dish did not taste like my dad's. I can't figure out what he put in his. I will have to play around with an actual recipe and try to make it taste as I remembered it to be. That will be difficult since it's been so many years since I have had my dad's dish.