Monday, March 24, 2008

Laotian Chicken Stew

I was raised to never waste any food. Recently, I made chicken laap and had leftover uncooked chicken breast(with bone). I decided to try to make Laotian chicken stew. I think it's called "or" (sounds like 'aw'). My parents would make this with whatever was leftover in the fridge. Usually it was leftover beef, zucchini, eggplant, bok choy, or any kind of leafy green vegetable. I feel that this is my 'Americanized' version. I don't know the proper recipe or method of cooking.

I don't have exact measurements for this recipe. For this dish, I used:
2 large skinless chicken breast w/bone chopped up
lemon grass(minced)
shallot(minced)
garlic(minced
2 sereno peppers
sprigs of dill
2 green onions


I put the garlic, shallot(I actually used red onion here since I was out of shallots), lemon grass, and peppers into a morter and ground them up with a pestle.

I then added it to a pot with a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil. Then I added the chicken, salt, and sugar.

After the chicken has browned, I add enough water to cover it. Put a lid on the pot and I let it simmer for about 15 minutes. Then I add a mixture of cornstarch and water to the pot to thicken it.

Then I add the green onions, dill, and (here I used some leftover greens). Covered the pot with a lid and let it simmer.

And this is what it looks like finished. This is when I taste it and add any additional seasoning, like fish sauce.