Sunday, November 4, 2007

Banh Mi in San Francisco


Saigon Sandwiches
560 Larkin St
(between Eddy St & Turk St)
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 474-5698
Mon-Sat 6:30am-5:30pm
Sun 7am-4:30pm


I took a week off during Halloween to enjoy a trip to San Francisco. It was a wonderful, relaxing vacation. I did all the tourist things, such as going to all the museums, Fisherman's Wharf, and Pier 39. The last time I was in San Francisco I didn't get to try the food, because I had bitten my tongue pretty bad the day before my trip and couldn't chew food well or taste anything. This time around I wanted to make sure I ate at all the places I've read about. On the top of my list was trying out the banh mi while I was there.

After touring the Asian Art Museum, I walked up Larkin Street a couple of blocks and found Saigon Sandwiches. It was almost closing time but I made it to order a 'fancy pork' sandwich which is made of thin slices of Gio Lua, pickled carrots and onions, cilantro, slices of jalapeno peppers, and some kind of mayonnaise.

The size of the sandwich was just right for me. The bread was toasted. I don't think I've ever had a banh mi quite like this one. I liked that there wasn't daikon in it. And the pickled carrots had slices of onion in it. I even liked the mayo on it and I don't normally like that on my sandwiches.

Overall, I would say it was a good sandwich.