Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Nice Dish for the Summer Heat


One of my favorite Summer time dishes would be any kind of 'Asian Wrap'. This is my take on the Vietnamese Nem Noung Cuon. It was my first time at attempting this but I thought it turned out great. I'm not too sure about the eggroll skin. I was suppose to only 'fold' them like you would an envelope but I mistakenly rolled them.

Nem Nuong:
1 lb. ground pork
1 medium white onion, pureed
3 T fish sauce
2 T brown sugar
1 1/2 t ground black pepper
1 pkg rice paper
1 pkg of eggroll wrappers (you will only need a few sheets)
mixed greens and herbs
fish sauce

This recipe serves 4 people. I take the ingredients and combine them and form large patties. I think traditional, they are made into meatballs and skewered and grilled. I recommend rolling some of the meat mixture into a small ball and microwaving it to taste for flavor before you start making your patties.

Grill your patties. You can pan fry them too.


Prepare your eggroll wrappers.



Take rice paper and moisten it. Before I start rolling, I slice my patties into think strips and I prepare my vegetables and herbs by washing and spinning them dry. I also slice up seedless cucumbers.


What I did was topped my moistened rice paper with the pork, then the eggroll wrapper, which I slightly crushed, cucumber, mint, cilantro, and red leaf lettuce.


I served the Nem Noung Cuon with a fish sauce for dipping.
Nuoc Man Cham:
1 C water
4 T vinegar
4 T sugar
5 T fish sauce
1 T finely chopped garlic
2 small chili peppers, chopped


Boil the water, vinegar and sugar. Take off heat after sugar dissolves and add remaining ingredients. Let cool.