Friday, November 6, 2009

Jeow Hed

I love mushrooms. And this is one of my favorite childhood dishes. My parents would make jeow hed and grill some kind of meat. My mom would usually grill soured pork (she would marinade pork belly with (a little bit of cooked sticky rice), garlic, and salt and let it sour for a couple of days then grill it). I cooked chicken drumsticks.



Jeow Hed:
16 oz Button Mushroom
3 large Jalapeno Peppers
6 Green Onions
Salt
Fish Sauce
Cilantro (chopped) for garnish


First I clean the mushrooms with a damp towel. I don't like seeing dirt on my food and my dad always told me not to wash the mushrooms in water. That's always my first impulse when I think of mushrooms. Then I clean and dry the peppers and onions. I think the best way is to grill the vegetables, but I didn't have charcoal and we aren't actually allowed to have grills at our place technically.

So I put everything on a aluminum foil lined cookie sheet in the oven at 400 until I feel that they are ready to take out. Everything gets chopped up and put in a mortar. Use the pestle utnil everything gets well incorporated but not mushy. Season it with a little salt and some fish sauce. Then garnish it with chopped cilantro.

For the chicken, I marinaded the legs over night with one packet of the Lobo chicken seasoning mix, 3 minced clovers of garlic, ginger, and lemon grass. And then I added it to the oven with my vegetables. I don't have exact times for the cooking. I served the jeow and chicken with sticky rice.