Sunday, February 17, 2008

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

I was suppose to work on weeding my little garden today, but I was feeling lazy and decided to make a snack. Since moving to San Diego, I've been reading local food blogs like "mmm-yoso!!!" and learning about all kinds of foods. I'm very excited about trying Vietnamese cuisine. And it seemed that every blog I looked at the blogger would mention banh beo. I noticed that I had a package of the flour to make banh beo so that's what I did today.

I started off with one package of the flour mix, some dried shrimp, and dried mung beans. I followed the instructions on the back of the flour bag. For one bag, add 2.5cups of cold water then slowly add in 2.5 cups of boiling water.

I brought my water up to a boil and added my dishes. Then I added the flour/water mixer into each dish and let it steam for 3-5 minutes and then removed the dishes to cool before removing the little steamed cakes onto a plate.

I prepared my garnishes. I rinsed, soaked, and boiled the beans until tender. Then I mashed the beans with some salt. I soaked the dried shrimp, drained them, then chopped them up. I made the green onion oil by chopping one bunch of green onions and adding it to hot oil. Then I made my sauce. I didn't know what kind of sauce goes with banh beo so I made the sauce I usually make for eggrolls. I boil some water with sugar, let it cool down, add chili paste, minced garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, and shredded carrot.

I arranged the little cakes on a plate and topped it with the 3 garnishes and served the sauce on the side.

I had a lot of fun preparing these. I would like to eventually go to a restaurant and order some authentic banh beo.